Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Believe in yourself

I entered the apartment of Gaston Lokvig, and he turned to me as if he'd been awaiting my arrival. I introduced myself, sat down and he promptly said, "Now, can I tell you about me?"

Born in 1912 in Copenhagen, Denmark, his long life is full of story, history, award and acclaim. But, one of the first things he wanted to share was his fascination and love for animals. Listening and feeling, senses paramount to the survival of animals in the wild, offer a knowing sometimes stronger than thought.







I wondered, in this stage in life, what he felt he had left to learn and he answered,

"Patience. Have time to listen. First of all, you only learn by listening, and looking and thinking. Use your own brain to the best."

It's so amazing to be around someone who has an undying, overflowing love and reverence for life. If you're ever questioning, worrying, doubting, he would be the perfect person to sit with as he tells you,




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gaston, you are an inspiration to all!

Margit Bojstrup said...

What a sweet and wise old man! I miss him and mourn his passing.
Just last night I showed his book of La Jolla, CA to some visiting Danish friends. And his drawings did their magic: my friends were drawn to the "jewel" at the coast.
His way of thinking about life, his humor, his art, and his friendship is unforgettable.
Thanks for helping us remember and get in touch with what really matters.